June 1, 2016

Writing an Artist Statement

Authored By Christy Olsen.

Every artist dreads the thought of writing an artist statement. Think about it. We are "visual artists," not literal ones! We would have been in literary arts if we wanted to write text! That said, whether you are self-represented or showing in multiple galleries. You still need an artist statement on your website to be a professional. 


Why? Anyone who looks at or buys your work may not be an artist themselves. They want to know in plain text or English what you are doing and why you are doing it. It also helps buyers or collectors articulate why they connect with your work, especially after they've bought a piece and are showing it off to their friends or family. 

Everyone has a different opinion on how to write an "Artist Statement" or what it should focus on. It can be just as subjective as your artwork. However, a good "Artist Statement" will connect or bridge the artist and their work to any audience, whether they like the artwork or not. 

It may be written in either the first or third person. Your statement should be clear, concise, and informative. Don't use too many big words; you will lose your audience or make them feel inadequate. It may be one sentence or three paragraphs, but limit the statement to half a page. 

Here's how to get started.

What does it all MEAN?

It's all about you and should be similar to your "Mission Statement."  A mission statement captures what you are doing right now, and a "Vision Statement" is what you want to do in the future or where you want to end up.

If you don't know your mission statement, you will have to flush it out! This is the most challenging part for most of us. It takes years to figure out for some, and it may be a moving target. Meaning that as we grow and change, so does our mission statement. 

You may get frustrated by this. However, first ask yourself, "Why am I doing what I'm doing?"  What does your artwork mean to you? Is there a specific subject or theme that you are drawn to? What is fundamentally driving you to create what you are creating? 

Remember, this is NOT about your technique or how you make artwork; this is WHY you are creating it in the first place.

Examples:  
  • I want to share the beauty of… 
  • My goal as an artist is to make pretty pictures… 
  • I create whimsical pieces to brighten up my day...
  • I abstract forms to make a balanced design... 

What's your INSPIRATION, SUBJECT, or THEME?

A good statement goes beyond the basics of what a single piece of artwork is all about. It will include a little about the artist, their creative inspiration, and their overall body of work. 

What about your subject or themes has inspired you to create, and what is it that you wish others to take away from your art? Beware, this may be tricky, or if you like to work in multiple genres like still life, portraits, landscapes, animal, abstract, etc. 

Examples:  
  • I love flowers because I played in the garden when I was little…
  • I love to paint landscapes because I want to be outside and carry on the traditions of "en plein air" or "in the open air"…
  • I paint horses because I own a ranch...
  • I paint abstracts because I love modern art...

What's your STYLE or MEDIUM?

Besides the meaning and inspiration, include your style and medium, especially if you work in a medium that enhances your style. 

Examples:  
  • I am a colorist who works in pastels. I love the vibrant colors it brings to my flowers… 
  • I am a surrealist who works in pastels because it allows me to make soft edges when I paint my dreams or fantasies...

Putting it ALL TOGETHER!

Now put all the components together (Meaning, inspiration, subject or theme, style, and medium).   

Examples:    
  • "I am a representational artist who paints florals from life in pastels. I played in the garden when I was little, and now I want to share the beauty of flowers with others. I paint flowers from life picked from my own garden, and I love the vibrant colors that the pastel medium brings to my work."
  • "I make balanced designs that put me at ease. I paint abstractly because I love the modern art era that began in the mid-twentieth century. I love to work in pastels because the square sticks help me produce the perfect geometric shapes I am drawn to." 

Am I Finished?

No, you are never done writing your artist statement.  Your statement will evolve as you and your artwork evolve. 

It will need to be tweaked or updated at least once every few years or even every six months, depending on how much artwork you produce. 

Some galleries even recommend that you should have one for each body of work or each genre. However, if you are getting into galleries, don't worry. They will ask you for exactly what they need because it will help them sell your work.

Lastly, always have a friend or neighbor proofread it to see if it actually connects the artwork with the audience and, of course, have them check for grammatical errors. If you need more help with writing or grammar, you can go to grammarly.com to check it, or you can even have a professional editor correct it for you for a small fee.