June 5, 2018

Check Out Christy Olsen's Artwork
(Interview Jun. 2018)

Check Out Christy Olsen's Artwork
Check Out Christy Olsen's Artwork.
Retrieved from voyagephoenix.com on June 6, 2018.

Article by Robert Williamson

Published by VoyagePhoenix Magazine on June 5, 2018.

Transcript

Today we’d like to introduce you to Christy Olsen.

Christy, we’d love to hear your story and how you got to where you are today both personally and as an artist.
I was inspired to create at an early age. I was born in Memphis, Tennessee as a third-generation painter. Growing up in a family of artists, I played under my mother’s easel where I acquired a colossal passion for drawing. My own artistic skills in drawing and painting were developed from a unique combination of formal education, self-directed practice, experimentation, and tutelage under several contemporary masters.

We’d love to hear more about your art. What do you do you do and why and what do you hope others will take away from your work?
At a time when representational art was not offered in the fine arts curriculum at most universities, I chose to earn a Bachelor’s of Art (B.A.) degree in Art History instead by studying the Old Masters via the classroom. I am heavily influenced by the Impressionists of the late 19th and early 20th century, especially the ones who studied in Florence, including Mary Cassatt, Dennis Bunker-Miller, Edmund Tarbell and Giovanni Boldini.

I paint in oil or use the pastel medium to capture mood, light & atmosphere. I work in the studio from life drawings, color studies, sketchbooks, my own observations or perceptions. I paint in any genre, whether it’s figure, animals, landscape or still life. My work is often referred to as ‘soft, soothing & serene.’

What do you think it takes to be successful as an artist?
The secret to outstanding artistic achievement is not talent, it’s perseverance. Just don’t quit. You have to enjoy the process not the end result. Once you realize it’s the process not the final piece, you’ve made it no matter what level you’re at.

Do you have any events or exhibitions coming up? Where would one go to see more of your work? How can people support you and your artwork?
I am currently showing my work in juried exhibitions with the Tucson Pastel Society. I also do a bi-annual open studio tour with the Heart of Tucson Art.

Reference
Williamson, R. (2018, June 5). Check Out Christy Olsen's Artwork. VoyagePhoenix Magazine. Retrieved from voyagephoenix.com on June 10, 2018.